Monday 12 November 2007

Long Run 1hr 55

Determined to have a long run this last weekend & the weather helped, a bit cooler & overcast on Sunday. Slept in & hit the road about 7.50am. Left T behind but it was for his own benefit - now the days are getting muggy I'm worried he'll overheat but just keep running out of a sense of duty. (We went for a run on Sat morning, 11 ks that included 2 swims - for T that is).

I also need to practice running long distances on my own. Running with a dog does tend to destabilise you a bit holding onto the lead. Running free I felt my gait was a bit better & it was good to be unencumbered of the lead & having to stop for T whenever he needs a stop.

Headed down to the Green Bridge, about 3 ks away & then did the 18.4 'river loop', so about 24ks all up in 1 hour 55 mins. Got into a groove early on & it felt pretty effortless heading along Riverside Drive where I estimated I was on 4.15 k pace. Knew it was a bit fast but also figured I had a long way to go so I might as well chew up the ks.

Didn't see many runners & no one I knew. Did a spot check along the Regatta stretch where a k is marked out - 4.33. Hit the hills at St Lucia & predictably the wheels fell off, just started to do the bare minimum, conserving energy, back around the 5 to 5.15 pace. Only had 3 water fountain drinks & back home was pretty dehydrated. Plenty of stretching & today I feel surprisingly good.

No comments: