Monday 5 May 2008

Hanging in there



Cold be damned - hit the road late Saturday for an easy 10k to 'warm up' for the next day's long run.

Started at the Ship Inn at the later time of 6am (5.30 is too dark these days). Quite a big group, 10, including coach Pat who unexpectedly turned up. Claims he's getting fat & needs a few longer training runs for his GC HM 1.30 pacer preparation. Had Glenda out front & it wasn't long before we were running 4.30s. Kept this up for nearly 2 hours by which time there were only 4 left (plus Matty who had tagged on at the Botanic Gardens).

After the drink stop turn-around at Tennerife I dropped off the pace a bit & by the time I was at the top of the Story Bridge I had the thousand yard stare working. Pete & Aaron were well in front & I struggled to keep some form notching up 2 hours 42 (about 33ks).

So race day I only have to run faster, for longer, with no stopping for drinks...The challenge I've set for myself is starting to make itself apparent.

1 comment:

Peterhorse said...

good title for your post Mike... was thinking exactly as your last line says... but that's what the training seems to (suprisinlgy) delivery on time after time.
we ended up having brekky with Pat that day btw, he seems keen to get a whole lot fitter again.
catch you round
PH