Wednesday 19 September 2007

Aiming for WORLD RECORD in Melbourne

Just realised my Melbourne race for October 7 will turn out to be a new world record for the men's marathon. I will be attracting alot of (unwanted) attention on the big day as I not only break the WR but actually SMASH it by around 40 minutes.

My race tactic is to go out fairly conservatively, clocking up 3.55 min k's & bring it home in, well, hopefully the same pace. Expecting the motorbike cam, helicopter & Pat Carroll "head cam" to start tracking my progress from the half way mark. As word gets out I imagine the rows of spectators will swell as ordinary people try to bask in my reflected glory & say that they too were there on that historic day. As I enter the MCG I can't imagine the roar that will go up from the crowd, even if it is just friends & family - not even Kerryn McCann would've experienced that level of adulation & well, incredulity.



And as I stroll over the line in around 83 minutes wearing my marathon number will the organisers cotton on that I'm actually a HM entrant who has started at the same time as the marathoners?

All strength to the Melb Marathon organisers who are starting the M & the HM at the same time & who refuse to re-issue a M entry with a HM one for contestants like me that have switched races... Roll on Oct 7, you rock!

1 comment:

Toasty said...

just what i need, a group of half mary's to make sure i go out too fast ...... should be a great run with a finish at the MCG to inspire a strong finish ... make sure you work out the last K marker so you don't wind it up too early and wonder when it will ever end as you go the long way around the stadium