Sunday 23 September 2007

10k tempo road race

Fronted up at the Brisbane Road Runners this morning at 6.30 for a 10k hit-out at race pace. I haven't run with this group before, they have a pretty straightforward 5k loop along Riverside Drive & Montague Street.

Tricky to gauge the right pace for these runs. Psychologically you think "ah, its only 10ks, no pressure" - & that can work against you as you don't have the big occasion to push yourself. So fell in at 3.50 pace pretty easily but the field quickly spread. Guys racing the 10k obviously well in front, but unfortunately no-one really around my pace. There was one guy that I started to gain on but he looked like he was going slow & it was frustrating as I realised I had dropped the pace & started hovering around the 4min k pace. I reckon it was my usual trick: you can almost be hypnotised by the runner in front so that you fall into their pace rather than running your own race. As soon as I did get past him (about the 6 k mark, I immediately got back to 3.50 pace) & felt better. Unusual that - running faster felt better - go figure. There was a long gap to the next guy who I was never going to catch so just maintained the same pace to finish in the high 38 min mark.

Here's a photo of me doing it easy at about the 2.5k mark: http://www.pbphotographics.com.au/BRRC/Pages/23_09_2007.html#4

Slowed to get a water & kept running but eased off to 4.30 pace to finish off with another 2 ks. As I was going past the finish I just managed to see the 5k race finish. Andy not that far in font of Matty who was finishing off like a freight train in front of the legendary Ron Peters in a big PB.

Last Friday ran a PCRG speed session from the Story Bridge along the river-walk out towards New Farm. 2x 3mins with 30SR between them; 6 mins back & finish off with 2 reps of the 'Gold Coast' hill (Ivory Street). Felt ok chasing Andy & Damien out, not too far behind them & managed a good run back holding them off from overtaking me.

1 comment:

Toasty said...

good one, it does seem strange how we settle around the pace of those around us