Tuesday 2 October 2007

Speedy work

Ty, Dec & T

Spent the weekend with my nephews who were up from Melbourne with Friday arvo at the beach on Bribie: frisbee, soccer & swimming.



This after that morning's PCRG session of 2x 2km efforts at West End. Felt pretty controlled, first one in a perfect split: 3.24 / 6.48.

Saturday spent the day wandering around Seaworld. Came away with a sore neck from tensing up on the "Corkscrew" roller coaster. Even Ty went on it after measuring up to the 122cm height limit. That morning T & I met up with Luke to do a Yeronga/ UQ easy session, about 15ks in 74mins.

Last Tuesday's speed work consisted of a pretty torrid 8x 500m session. At least we had a generous 1 min recovery between them. Did my usual miscalculation: hit the 6th one hard thinking it was our last effort. Clung on for the last 2. Did manage one effort up "Gold Coast" hill with Glenda. Despite our leading no-one followed...

Followed that the next morning with a 12 k interval run in 58mins. Started off with a quick 4 mins (mainly to keep in front of another runner who turned up just behind us). Then down to 2 mins 'fast', 2 mins jog. The 'fast' became progressively slower as we both ran out of puff.

Yesterday I ran an easy 6k after taking Sunday off, the first day of my taper towards next Sunday's Melbourne HM.

This morning fronted up to the monthly PCRG 3k TT. My last solid hit-out before my race. Wanted to run a pretty measured 10.15. But headed out feeling surprisingly quick, thought I'd try & maintain that to half way. Turned around in 4.58, my first sub-5 min for that run, just a bit behind Matty. Started to slow up on the way back & paranoid about not straining the knee or doing the calf just tried to keep it together. Good to see Matty move away from me, take the lead from Mat C & cross first in a PB 9.48. He didn't appear to be that far in front of me but it took me a while to finally come in, 20 secs behind in 10.08. That was only 1 sec outside my PB so I'm obviously in good form. If I can keep this level of fitness together will try & have a crack at the 10.00 barrier next month...

2 comments:

Toasty said...

All set for Melbourne and then the sub 10 when you come back is a great goal.

Tesso said...

Great run in the TT Mike!

See you on the weekend no doubt. Happy travels.