Tuesday 4 September 2007

Pacing the 3k TT

Aching from the 'friendly' game of cricket on Sunday I fronted up this morning to pace Toasty to a sub-11 min TT (time trial). I had the 500m times written on my wrist but as usual missed the first 500m marker. Felt like we were going too fast & eased up a bit to go thru' 1k about 10 secs fast. That was fine, good to have a buffer. Toasty took the lead & we had about 8 secs up our sleeves at half-way. Interesting experience this - running within yourself & observing other runners, distances separating people & how people were struggling running at their max. About 800m to go Toasty started to drop off the pace so I had to start coaxing a big performance & he responded well. We came home in 10.59 even tho' Pat called out 11.

Feeling chuffed I went back out to bring Michelle home in under 13.33. She'd mentioned her "3 successive faster performances" goal in the warm-up. She was looking really wrecked with a minute to go but I was sure she could do it & true to her prediction - 13.25.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A huge note of appreciation pacing me for the TT .... it really made the difference. I have never been paced before and what you said keep me on pace and focused through to the end. It may not have happened otherwise. Damn it was hard, but worth it.

Tesso said...

Fantastic stuff Mike! Helping others out like that must leave you feeling just as good as if you ran a great TT yourself.

When I ran my PB Jonesy paced me, there was no way in the world I would have done it otherwise!